Sunday, 27 October 2013

Prayer - My Reason To Pray and Lakshmi Pooja This Year ..

What is my reason to Pray? 

For a very spiritually raised person, somehow, haven't introspected with a singular focus on this question in such detail ever: what is my reason to pray? 

Gave it much thought today & therefore, this post.

Asking 'What is your reason to pray', interestingly, could almost be asking 'what is your reason to live'.  Reasons abound.  Because, we inherently pray for all that we live for :)

I pray for safety

We all physically fence & protect our property; similarly, to me, prayer is my only way to protect my soul. To insure & fortify it against increasingly trust challenged times;  being an Indian woman in today's India, where crime against women is widely prevalent yet hardly prevented, I pray - for my safety as well as the safety of scores of women like me.

I pray for energy:

Energy, well, adrenaline has been my life's fuel.  A reservoir that springs from within fueling my journey where I'm spiritually raised to exercise 'dharma' in the choice of means so that the end does not determine / justify the means. So, with each passing day's drain on the internal fuel, I pray for abundant energy to help face life's googlies!  I'm not aware of any other refueling point for positive energy except prayer.  I strongly believe the very reason we feel better after having been to a place of worship is the collective positive energy that lingers there for us to partake.

I pray for togetherness:

In a world where, increasingly, 'social' means social media, I miss the large gatherings and joint families when i was a toddler; the inherent check-and-balance effect it had on society; the cushion & support it lent to pretty much everyone regardless of age, gender, strata, profession or any demography.  I pray for social togetherness - a dream society that rejuvenates by networking, one that safeguards even as it entertains.  Where one link of the society does not feed on or render another vulnerable!

I pray for health:

In times of sky rocketing medical insurance premiums & getting used to vital social constituents such as education & healthcare sectors turning 'industries', do I (well, we) have a choice but to pray for good health?  I pray that life & Nature bestow the best of health so I or my loved ones are not exposed to the vagaries of today's financially driven healthcare system.  

I pray for knowledge:

Knowledge, indeed is power; not just theoretical knowledge but life skills, intuitive power, the ability to connect, vibe, perceive, communicate & give back.  I pray that Nature bless me and loved ones with the nectar of ever flowing knowledge that refills & attains the next level even as we give back & dispense what has been bestowed thus far.  

I pray for inclusiveness:

In increasingly polarizing times, I pray that Nature honor its own dictum: diversity & inclusiveness.  In every facet of life; at every bus stop; in every educational institution; in every home; in every business house; in every office; in every phase of life.  Its often those that get excluded that end up undermining a society's progress.  So, exclusion is akin to cancer, according to me.  Perpetrate it or even be a mute spectator to it and you are seeing your future eroded - one day at a time - because the time bomb is ticking.  The exclusion we perpetrate or tolerate will come back - to hit us hard, sooner than later.  So, I pray that we turn inclusive as a society & I can play a fulcrum. 

I pray for Justice:

In a Country where the sheer number of pending court cases is matched only by the sheer number of victims - unheard, unattended and thus denied, I turn to the only available alternative - Natural Justice.  I pray for reformation & punishment at the speed of crime. As i pray, i hope, while law could be blind, Nature is not & that every lamp i light in prayer not only brightens my failing faith but illuminates Nature's path to render justice - timely & commensurate.

I pray for abundance:

Living in an age where sovereign debt ain't sacred anymore and where recession, inflation & slowdown are an integral part of our lives, i pray that Nature gives bountiful - abundance, in itself, is often a precursor of a just & inclusive society.  So, i pray for abundance - for myself, my loved ones, my Country & my planet. 

I pray for long life for my loved ones:

Life has come to be limited to a very few caring people; in a modern world where the pizza gets home faster than the police & neighbors no longer know who is next door, its only the very immediate family that will stand by us in times of need.  I pray that mine are blessed with long life to see me through to a stage where i would be mentally able to cope with their absence.

I pray for death:

Surprised? :)

Yes, I do.  Spirituality regards death as the only  & ultimate truth. I pray that mine is peaceful and restful in Nature's arms.  I pray that mine is without any inconvenience or grief to my loved ones.  I pray that mine is swift and painless, when it must arrive.  I pray that mine is the culmination of a purposeful life.  

Didn't I tell you? Reasons abound.. 

Now, How do I Pray?

Raised a spiritual Hindu, i have come to appreciate that many of the simple rituals associated with our prayer are quite empowering, by themselves.  Had shared some of my practices in this earlier post.  

Collecting fresh flowers from our garden and offering it for prayer - at home & to various temples - is deeply satisfying.  Lighting a lamp - much as Hinduism regards it - is deeply empowering.  Lighting a lamp is regarded as erasing one's bad deeds & enhancing one's good karma.  The fragrance of a prayer environment is to ask for that fragrance to engulf our lives.  This is why our parents much enjoy agarbathies & sandalwood as part a traditional prayer. 

Prayer during major festivals has its own importance in our life's scheme of things; named 'Lakshmi' myself for all the good tidings associated with the name, I am acutely aware of the sheer power of all that it stands for :)  For years now, have been an active participant with my Mom for the annual 'Lakshmi Pooja' during Diwali.  Feel blessed to have imbibed the tradition from my family, especially my Mom, who deeply believes in it and her belief has turned mine irrevocably :)

For someone much used to the Lakshmi Pooja, I noticed and came to know with much joy that Pure Prayer can be an institutional belief as well :)  In today' times!  And, one can actually do a DIY (yeah, Do It Yourself) Sampoorna Lakshmi Pooja! This Lakshmi Pooja Pack from Cycle Pure comes with all that one needs to achieve a complete prayer.  Including an audio CD guiding you :)  One can also choose to karaoke (yeah, my terminology for reading the shlokas alongside the CD recital :)

Therefore, this Diwali, I will be gifting this Sampoorna Lakshmi Pooja to a wide cross section of friends. Those single or abroad or both.  Those living in small nuclear families (well, the joke is: these days, a family is called a 'joint family' if the husband and wife indeed are living together :)  To those very young - teenagers - still gaining their vital first perspectives of life - would love for them to gain exposure to a pedigree that believes in the power of prayer - so they appreciate the inherent substance therein.  An internally empowered young generation would most likely not need drugs to sustain them - life, after all, is the biggest high as it naturally comes!

hmm..  just getting a view of how long this spontaneous post has become ..  i am sure the readers would be praying for an end :)  

Adding one more reason to pray for today: that I win this Cycle Pure Contest which got me to introspect my reason to pray and for which I write this post :)  Just occurs to me that it is kind of coincidental that the brand is called 'Cycle Pure' - after all, Prayer is one constant through our life cycle!  We even pray for loved ones much after they depart! 

Your prayer - to get to an end - is hereby granted :)

Cheers :)