Monday, 16 March 2015

Review: #LakmeSchoolOfStyle - India's First Fashion Video Magazine

Born in a tropical country & a home city (aka Chennai) that has, in popular rhetoric, just 3 seasons - hot, hotter and hottest, I'm an eternal Spring-Summer child :)

That naturally extends to my fashion sensibilities as well & the Spring-Summer collections are what I most look forward to.

The Fashionista in me is delighted to receive, subscribe to & ping the all new Lakme School of Style YouTube Channel.  Its India's first fashion video magazine & oh boy, do we have an appetite for that or what.  Voracious.  Love the range of coverage, production quality, choice of events & comprehensive yet crisp coverage.

Just picked two of my favorite, recent videos to articulate about & review:

#LakmeSchoolOfStyle Video on Ritu Kumar SS 2015 Launch:

Ritu Kumar, the largest & most respected Indian brand launched their SS (Spring Summer) 2015 collection few days ago. I quite love this crisp video by Santoshi Shetty of the Lakme School of Style from Ritu Kumar's Palladium, Mumbai store:




Needless to say, I'm a big Ritu Kumar fan for her having brought Indian textile heritage, craftsmanship & sensibilities to the fashion fore.  So, I was keen to know the trends Ritu Kumar is showcasing as part of SS 2015. 

This Lakme School of Style video, whilst being crisply edited, gives me a nice apparel & accessories overview - a double delight for the Fashionista & Jewellerista in me.

The first thing to attract my attention about the apparel - quite some prints in there.  Wide palette of hues - starting with the upbeat summer colors (yeah, love that tangerine & burnt orange print) to the milder, subdued hues. 



Checks are a big SS 2015 trend and true to that, this collection has some notable inclusions; the incurable polka dot addict in me (blame it on being a classicist, be it fashion or music), could only chuckle as Santoshi picks out a polka dominated mixed print number!



Now, coming to my life's fondest passion - jewelry.  Ritu Kumar's SS 2015 accessories (jewelry) collection, again in tandem with the trellising trend that is gaining ground, has gleaming cut work pieces. 



Predominantly yellow gold hued, they are bold, vibrant and celebratory.  As always, derived from Indian sensibilities yet channelized contemporarily for the global woman.  My favorite and personal pick from this collection:



These earrings and rings, combining enameling, yellow gold hue & pearls are  chunky, classy & contemporary - all at once. 

#LakmeSchoolOfStyle Video on 5 Ways To Style Your Favorite Crop Top:

I've always been a crop top fan, seasons & trends notwithstanding.  Its liberating, chic & multi-tasks for me between genres (yeah, more about that last bit towards the end).

So, this video instantly caught my attention:


Nilu Thapa presents five ways to style a crop top (she picks her boxy crop top with kimono sleeves); again a crisp two minute video, packing in enough juice to keep us glued.

Look 1: Distressed denim shorts, statement accessories, bling sneakers; optional denim jacket.


Look 2: Printed midi skirt, minimal accessories. Amongst my favorites in this list.



Look 3: Distressed denim, plaid cape (I think this is a brilliant addition), sunglasses


Look 4: This is oh-so-my look with comfort writ all over it:) Printed pants, sling bag to go with the crop top.



Look 5: A very glam twist to the crop top - create an LBD (little black dress) effect by throwing in a bling short skirt & glam accessories.  Spells party all the way. 



Now, for readers of this blog, courtesy my fondness for crop tops and experimentation with them, here is a bonus sixth way of styling your crop top: guess what, crop tops double up as brilliant sari blouses - I love the way I can fuse them with sarees to make a statement.  Go, try!

Hope you enjoyed my articulation about the videos and the collection launch as well as crop top styling.  This is such a fun way of keeping in touch with what's buzzing around in fashion circles. 

This post is a part of the #LakmeSchoolOfStyle activity at BlogAdda.com in association with #Fame.

Thank you BlogAdda for the opportunity.

Cheers :)